Canton Food Tours offers a variety of walking and van-based tours that showcase the best of the Hall of Fame City and surrounding region.
Place Category: Arts, Culture & Education
Canton Country Day School, Stark County’s only PK-8 non-sectarian independent school, was founded fifty years ago by local families who wanted their children to experience an innovative elementary-middle school education in an environment that valued real world diversity. Our school is designed to glean the best ideas from current educational research, to pilot and adapt those ideas, and then share what we learn with the local education community to advance the educational experience for all Ohio’s students.
CCDS has a long history of innovation and impact on the regional and national educational scene. We piloted the University of Chicago’s Everyday Math curriculum when it was first developed many years ago. We were one of a few schools to first embrace the Virtual Science Fair. We were the only PK-8 school among the five schools chosen by the National Association of Independent Schools to pilot the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) test now widely used by many schools. We started a robotics team, trained coaches from the local schools, hosted tournaments, and increased the number of teams and local students who currently benefit from a robotics approach. Now we’re leading the way with a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) curriculum that is integrated into the daily classroom with our one-of-a-kind elementary-middle school laptop program and new technology center.
There are many unique features of a CCDS independent school education:
- A commitment to a full arts program that offers all students the opportunity to learn music, visual arts, dance, and drama, all year long, every year
- A Physical Education program taught by a national champion, intramural programs, and sports teams with no-cut policies
- A PK-8 curriculum that is integrated, multi-disciplinary, and hands-on
- A diverse student body that reflects the real world our children live in
- A Spanish program that begins in Kindergarten
- A character education program reinforced by advisories, homerooms, buddy activities, gender-specific talks, and a community service program that includes all students
- A community of caring teachers and staff who spend extra time with your children in an intimate learning environment structured to maximize individual potential and to ensure student success.
Perhaps the most important distinguishing characteristic of a CCDS education is the partnership we invite our parents to have with our school. At CCDS we encourage a partnership that goes beyond a contractual agreement. We care about your children, we look out for them, and we help them fulfill their potential. We are committed to a meaningful relationship with our parents as we work together for each student’s academic and social success.
The long-term benefits of a CCDS education are clearly evidenced by our alumni successes. Our graduates have outstanding high school records and consistently take top honors in their schools. They have research and public speaking skills and emerge as student leaders who remain committed to community service. They are trained to work hard and to do their best. They are prepared for high school, for college and for life.